Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Kale Chips - Tips and Seasoning Ideas


Kale Chips - Tips and Seasoning Ideas
My New Crunchy Snack 
by Kay Curtiss

I'm a little late getting on the kale bandwagon.  I know it is good to add to smoothies and I like the baby leaves to add to my salads.  But in an effort to eat healthier, I have to admit, I love the crunch of chips with a sandwich - and while carrots and other raw vegetables can fill the bill some of the time, I get tired of that and just want some chips.  Enter my new found snack - Kale Chips.

So I have been experimenting with Kale and different seasonings and different processes.  I found if you don't bake it long enough it's not crispy but if you bake it too long it gets bitter.  doTerra Essential Oils make great additions as part of the seasonings you can add to your base oil.



I found some great Kale Chip Tips (try saying that fast several times :) on Oh She Glows Blog and added a few of my own:

1.  Remove all the big stems from the kale.  I only want the tender leave parts.
2.  I spray my cookies sheet with an olive oil or coconut oil spray or you can use silicon baking sheets or parchment paper.
3.  I found about 8 heaping cups of kale per cookie sheet works good.
4.  I use 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil per 8 cups (or melted Coconut Oil - I haven't tried that yet).
5.  Massage the kale with the oil until all the leaves are covered on both sides.
      --  If using dry seasoning, I spread the oiled kale on the cookie sheet and then sprinkle with dry seasonings or you could massage the dry onto the oiled leaves.
      --  If using liquid seasoning, I add seasoning to the Tablespoon of oil in a bowl and mix. Then I add my kale and massage until all the leaves are well covered with the seasoned oil and spread on the cookies sheet.
6.  Bake in oven of 300 degrees for about 20 minutes (turn pan around after 10 minutes) - works great in my oven.
7.  Let Kale Chips cool on the cookie sheet at least 3-5 minutes to finish crisping up. Make sure they are completely cool before you put them away, if there are any left over.

Here's a couple of seasonings I've tried so far:

Lemony Salt & Pepper Kale Chips  
I saw the original recipe on the doTerra Blog

Ingredients:
8 heaping cups of Kale
1 Tablespoon Olive or Coconut Oil
2 drops doTerra Lemon Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Instructions:
Mix oils in a large mixing bowl.  Add kale and massage until leaves are coated on both sides with oil. Spread kale in a single layer on cookie sheet and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.  Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, turning pan after 10 minutes.  Let kale cool on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes to finish crisping up.


Lemony Salt & Pepper Kale Chips


Kale Chips with a Kick and a hint of Lime
I saw the original recipe on the I Breathe . . . I'm Hungry Blog

Ingredients:
8 heaping cups of Kale
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1-3 teaspoons Sriracha Hot Sauce (you could try other hot sauces)
1 teaspoon Oyster Sauce (used in Chinese cooking)
1 teaspoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos
2 drops doTerra Lime Oil

Instructions:
Mix seasonings with Olive Oil in a large mixing bowl.  Add kale and massage until leaves are coated on both sides with oil. Spread kale in a single layer on cookie sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, turning pan after 10 minutes.  Let kale cool on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes to finish crisping up.

Kale Chips w/Kick & Lime

I also have tried the All Dressed Kale Chips recipe that is on the Oh She Glows Blog - It was a good dry seasoning mix but I found that the 1/2 Tablespoon of Olive Oil the recipe calls for is not quite enough and the seasoning didn't stick very well to the Kale.  So I'd suggest going with 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil.

I'm also going to try my Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix as the seasoning on my next batch of Kale Chips.


Buttermilk Ranch Mix
by Kay Curtiss

FD - Freeze Dried
Thrive product numbers are for Pantry size cans except for seasonings.

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder
2 Tablespoons Thrive FD Onion (#22227)
2 Tablespoons Thrive FD Parsley (#23621)
1 Tablespoon Thrive FD Chives (#23623)
1/4 teaspoon Thrive Chef's Choice (#23628)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Thrive FD Celery (#22223)
1/2 teaspoon Thrive Peppercorn Blend (#23629)
1/4 teaspoon paprika (smoked)
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed

DIRECTIONS:

Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor or blender and pulse several times.  Store in a cool, dry place.

Do you have a good recipe to season Kale Chips?  
Share with us in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment